User Research skills
A summary of my key skills and experience is as follows:
- Single-handedly creating, growing and leading a brand new user research team and function within a government organisation very new to Agile
- Experience of delivering and leading a wide range of user research projects (moderated, remote and guerilla) in discovery, alpha, beta and live. This includes using methods such as contextual research, usability testing, diary studies, as well as developing storyboards, personas, journey maps etc, and reporting research findings at all levels.
- Over 8 years of experience of qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods research across government, NHS and academia.
- Training and upskilling researchers in government and academia
- Doing researchOps, including creating a user research library and user research repository.
- Encouraging team members within Agile teams where possible to participate in user research and working together to implement solutions
- Confident in research strategy and reporting research findings using various methods at all levels
- Championing and advocating the benefits of user research inside and outside the organisation
- Experience of conducting user research with users with accessibility needs, low digital and literacy skills, and those hard to reach.
- Assessing services in all phases against GDS service standards
Academic Research skills
- Developing research design based on both qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Designing technology based intervention studies for a London based NHS trust
- Successfully co-acquiring funding from a London based charity to run a technology based intervention study
- Preparing research applications (qualitative; quantitative; experimental; and mixed methods) for NHS ethical approval
On-going research, design and CPD training through various universities and other external bodies, such as:
- Hands on Agile for leaders (3 day course), Government Digital Services Academy, Nov 2019
- Managing & Facilitating meetings, Ofsted, Sep 2019
- Agile for Teams (3 day course), Government Digital Services Academy, July 2019
- Service Design Champions Programme (3 day course), Scottish Digital Academy, Mar 2019
- Digital Service Standard Assessor Training, Government Digital Services, Mar 2019
- User Research and Access Needs training, Home Office Digital Data and Technology, Feb 2019
- Performance analysis bespoke training from Government Digital Services, Nov 2018
- Introduction to Service Design (1 day training) from Government Digital Services, Nov 2018
- Implementation Science Masterclass, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience (IoPPN), July 2018, King’s College London.
- Professional Development Course for External Examiners, Higher Education Academy (Advance HE), July 2018 (delivered at the University of Salford)
- Postgraduate research supervisor training, University of Salford, June 2018
- Design of experiments and analyzing experimental data, Cathie Marsh Centre for Census and Survey Research (CCSR), University of Manchester in June 2018
- Social Media for data analysis, Cathie Marsh Centre for Census and Survey Research (CCSR), University of Manchester in May 2018
- Longitudinal Data Analysis (2 day course), Cathie Marsh Centre for Census and Survey Research (CCSR), University of Manchester in Apr 2018
- BCT (Behaviour Change Techniques) Taxonomy Training online (Certified coding competence in use of BCTTv1 to specify the content of complex behaviour interventions), UCL Centre for Behaviour Change, March 2018
- Introduction to Good Clinical Practice eLearning (Secondary Care) training, National Institute for Health Research, Feb 2018
- Economic evaluations in health care, Hackney Council (City & Hackney Public Health), Feb 2017
- Introduction to Hospital Episode Statistics, 2 day course from the University of Southampton (conducted at FARR Institute, UCL), Nov 2016
- Improving Healthcare Through Clinical Research, online assessed course from The University of Leeds, Dec 2015 [available here]
- IBM SPSS Statistics 22 – Elementary statistics methods course at the University of Warwick, Nov 2015
- How to Write and Publish a Study Protocol from the BMJ, Oct 2015
- Doing social science research in health care settings, 28th – 29th July 2015 at the Division of Health and Social Care Research, Faculty of Life Sciences and Medicine, King’s College London
- Introduction to Structural Equation Model at LSE, London (through NRCM) in May 2015
- Qualitative Research Methods (1 week intensive course) from the School of Social and Community Medicine at the University of Bristol in March 2012.
- Introductory Statistics and Research Methods course from the Centre for Applied Medical Statistics (CAMS), Department of Public Health and Primary Care at the University of Cambridge, in March 2012.
- Questionnaire design, application and data interpretation (3 day course) at the School of Social and Community Medicine at the University of Bristol in April 2012.
- Using Cognitive Interviews to Improve Survey Questions (2 day course) at the University of Sheffield (certified by the National Centre for Research Methods) in May 2012
- Mixed Methods Research for Health (1 week intensive course) from the Warwick Medical School, University of Warwick in May 2012
- Project Management training from the University of Warwick in Feb 2011.
- Foundation Skills for Data Analysts, Cathie Marsh Centre for Census and Survey Research (CCSR), University of Manchester in Sep 2012
- Data Analysis Part 1 & 2, Cathie Marsh Centre for Census and Survey Research (CCSR), University of Manchester in Sep 2012
- Have a Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Teaching children from ages 5-18 as well as adults for over 6 years
- Experience of working on syllabus development and assessment
- Leading, training and supporting teaching staff
- Learning Skills Certificate in British Sign Language
- Lancashire Mentor Point Certificate in Mentor Training
- The Women’s Centre Certificate in Volunteers Training
- The Maple Academy Distance Diploma in Child Psychology
Project Management and Interpersonal Skills
- Project managing small scale research projects and charitable projects.
- Working with a NHS trust on a research project
- Team working in a wide range of non-academic fields and academic field.
- Training and supporting teaching staff, students and colleagues.
Software /Programming/ Web/Design Skills
- Content Management Systems (Drupal/Joomla/WordPress/Magento)
- Virtual Learning Environments (Moodle and WebCT)
- Programming (Java, C++, HTML, PHP and C#)
- Graphic design and illustration (Photoshop and Illustrator)
- Web design and multimedia ( Dreamweaver and Microsoft)
- Research software including Zotero and Mendeley
- My Digital Design Portfolio (2007-2010)
Organised and ran the following Workshops in 2012-14:
- Organising References Using Mendeley at the University of Warwick Library, on the 16th of Feb. Details here.
- Co-organised the Workshop: Using Twitter for Research at the University of Warwick in 2012.
- Co-organised and ran a Social Media Surgery in Cambridge in July 2012.